Sunday, May 31, 2009

Gardening...or why there were no posts last weekend.

Happy very late three day weekend and Memorial Day to those in the U.S. of A. I went to two barbecues, ate yummy food, watched people play badminton and did a lot of gardening.

The before of our yard was not so pretty.
These trees were not thriving. They were yellow on the bottom.


This area needed to be weeded and the stones have a sort of war rubble look. Not welcoming.
Also, we needed to weed. I spent most of the time doing that.
The after is far superior, in my estimation. About 4 hours worth superior. I know that is not a lot of time, but it made a world of difference as to our happiness with the place. Now we just need a table and chairs and grill out there.

Everyone who knows me knows that I do not have a green thumb. So, this was a big step for me. The two bushes along the top should grow to be 6 or so feet wide and 5 feet or so tall to give us a little privacy when we are on the patio.

Michael has since mulched the area around the new plants and it looks great! He did such a good job.

I also did a little knitting and finishing.

First, I finally wove in the ends on my fingerless gloves. It had been roughly 4-5 months since I finished knitting on these. My gauge varied greatly with both of these. However, they both fit. They are soft and warm, so I count it as a success and got to cross a UFO off the list just in time for summer.
I am still knitting my stepfather's scarf Take 2. It's Take 2 because I knit him one before and it has been lost. The saddest thing that can happen to a hand knitted object. I hope it warming the neck of someone out there.
I have been working on the Chuppah. That's side 3!!! of the border, almost done....8 repeats on this side to go roughly.... I can taste the end of the knitting on this project.
I also added to the stash at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool.

I got this 50% merino, 30% mohair, 20% angora. It's much more purple, all varying stages than this picture shows. It is so soft. It's 400 yards of fingering weight and is beautiful.

I also got this. It's 750 yards of beautiful and soft yarn. It's DK weight and I cannot wait to knit with it. Once I figure out what to knit that is. It is 100% alpaca.

Then there is this beautiful angora and superwash merino blend. It is so soft and so pretty. It has subtle gradiations in color.Then Michael got me some beautiful purple and green skeins from Tucker Woods. I had never seen their fiber before, but these two skeins sucked me in. It is mohair sport weight according to the tag, but I bet it is more a fingering weight. There are 3778 yards in each skein and it is 90% mohair and 10% cormo. You can see their fiber at tuckerwoodsfarm.com. I think this will look great as something using both these color.

Happy Knitting!

Sock pictures (done and upstairs in the sock drawer) next time!

No comments: