Friday, February 16, 2007

First Post

I am a relatively new knitter. I started out on Thanksgiving, in what I think was one of the best ways possible (with my family)! We were all on Chappy for Thanksgiving-weekend at my parents (new!!!) house, curled up with tea on the couches by the fire. My aunt had just started knitting due to her new found friendship with the owner of the LYS. The owner was a new yoga student of my aunt's and my aunt had very cool things to show from knitting, such as a felted bowl and she was working on the most gorgeous stripey project which turned out to be an amazing holiday present for my stepmother. I had learned knitting with the girl scouts when I was 8 or 9 but never kept up with it because I wanted to be in the woods playing explorers with the boys. Soon, however, my brother, little sister, stepmother and myself were all knitting away under the instruction of my aunt and cousin! I haven't put down the needles since I ran out and got enough Lambs Pride worsted to make my sister a long, blue, garter stitch scarf with fringe. I finished it in Hawaii over break of all places! That's a place you really need a wool scarf. I was determined to make more things, and to learn the ins and outs of this craft. I started more scarves, including another long garter stitch one in Lambs Pride Worsted, in grey, for my sister's husband. They now have matching scarves which they should be sending me a picture of sometime soon.
Those are my two finished pieces.

Here are two of the WIPs!
I'm making a hat for the bf which will be this hat from Lions Brand website, except I am making it with Lambs Pride Worsted (is there a pattern here?).


The WIP state is this:


It is pretty far from being complete, and is my first hat. If it doesn't work out well then I am going to frog it and try making this other hat: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTswell.html
It looks harder, but is so cool!

This is my other WIP. It is the beginnings of my hood for a hooded scarf of my own design basically. I am using a couple of free patterns for guidance, such as stitch amounts, but otherwise I am going on my own. I think I am going to try and connect the hood to the scarf by buttons possibly, in which case, in this next row I will be trying to create button holes! I have a good tutorial post from craftser.org linked here, but I am pretty nervous about the entire thing. I have already frogged this once, due to yarn tangling issues and I would rather not get rid of my already limited progress because Boston is in February Fury, a nasty stretch of weather if I ever saw one.


Thanks for reading!

No comments: