Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Continuing Saga of Sleeveland

This is the story of a woman and a land of sleeves. The woman worked and worked and did everything three times and everything seemed to take a lot longer than it should.


Ok, so this is the third!!! time I have knit this sleeve. It's finally turned out right. It's simple K2P2 ribbing, just like the body of the sweater. I am only using 48 stitches however, because 60 was just way too big for my arm. I wanted skin hugging and apparently my arms call for 48 stitches around. Ribbing is stretchy after all.

This sleeve is finally turning out right but I still have another to knit after it. It also seems to have taken forever. Maybe part of that is that I have restarted it twice and pretty far into the sleeve (about halfway both times), but the body of the sweater (many more stitches around) seemed to go much quicker and much easier. Maybe Magic Loop is just slow. I'm not sure, but I am finally in a happy place with this almost completed sleeve. Maybe Gremlins will come and spirit it away into a pile of yarn in my sleep but I hope they don't. Hear that Gremlins? I'll get you if you hurt my sleeve.
I think the sleeve looks a whole lot better lyinh on my Ikea coverlet than on my arm pulled up to my Red Sox shirt, but I think it will look good with the sweater body. It's not easy taking a picture of your arm like that. Trust me. I'm not a contortionist but it would make life a whole lot easier. I could slide under my bed to get things I constantly misplace under there and slip through tiny openings in the crush of people on the T and take much better knitting in progress pictures. That would be awesome.

My summer vacation doing nothing is officially over. I started studying for the bar using the Barbri take home materials. Tomorrow I have my first Ipod lecture day. It's thrilling, let me tell you. I had to stop and take a nap today during the reading and I never take naps in the afternoon. Doesn't bode well. I think I might need to invest in a giant, takes three men to load it into the car pallet of soda before heading down to the Vineyard on Sunday.

Which brings me to the news for my maybe 3??? readers (I do get more visits than that but I'm not sure if they are the aforementioned sleeve gremlins checking up on when to do the most damage). I am heading down to my dad's house on Chappaquiddick (Chappy) on saturday with M for the duration of bar prep. Due to the folks at Verizon and probably the tides and the fact that about 500 feet of water is the difference between mainland Martha's Vineyard and Chappy (that's right, it's an island off an island off the coast of Massachusetts) the internet has never really worked at the house. I plan on spending about 16 gazillion hours on the phone with Verizon to be able to maybe check my email and maybe post once in a while, but I might be scarce this summer until I can get to a place where the internet doesn't either not work at all or get freaked out by the passing breeze.

No comments: